Preparing for a Wildfire 10 Quick and Easy Steps
1. Cut grass and weeds, rake leaves and pine needles and remove yard debris and branches.
2. Relocate woodpile anf left over building materials at least 30' from house. NOTE: It is best to not locate the woodpile directly uphill or downhill of any structure.
3. Signs, address and access are well marked, and visible both night and day. Reflective numbering/lettering that is 3" or larger is recommended.
4.Prune dead and low-hanging tree limbs 6 to 10 feet from the ground around house. Remove all dead vegetation in brush and shrubbery.
5. Store all gas, oil and other chemicals away from the house. This includes propane tanks on BBQ pits.
6. Keep roof and gutters free form leaves and needles.
7. Enclose spaces under porches, decks, foundations and overhangs, and roof/attic vent openings with 1/8" metal screening.
8. Have garden hoses connected on all sides or your house.
9. Place tools (such as ladders, shovels, rakes and hoes) for easy access to fire fighters.
10. Check driveway for adequate clearance for emergency vehicles. (Both height and width)